9.15.2008

Tarzan of the Apes

Chapter I [Out to sea] p. 23
“Capitan Billings,” he drawled finally, “if you will pardon my candor, I might remark that you are something of an ass, don't you know.”

Chapter X [The Fear-Phantom] p. 95
He killed for food most often, but, being a man, he sometimes killed for pleasure, a thing which no other animal does; for it has remained for man alone among all creatures to kill senselessly and wantonly for the mere pleasure inflicting suffering and death.

Chapter XII [Man’s Reason] p. 113
When the awe-struck savages saw that the food disappeared over night they were filled with consternation and awe, for it was one thing to put food out to propitiate a god or a devil, but quite another thing to have the spirit really come into the village and eat it.

Chapter XIII [His Own Kind] p. 126
They were evidently no different from the black men−no more civilized than the apes−no less cruel than Sabor.

Chapter XXV [The Outpost of the World] p. 253
“I do not know why I should kill the blacks back there in my jungle, yet not kill them here. Suppose Numa, the lion, should spring out upon us, I should say, then, I presume: Good morning, Monsieur Numa, how is Madame Numa; eh?”

No hay comentarios: